October 28, 2012 by Last Star blog
Ok, it’s morning and we spent another wonderful evening aboard LastStar.
Patricia had a rotisserie chicken from Wal-Mart (D.D. came to get Patricia after the VW scare and took her to the store); maybe I’ll call it a “roti” chicken as Wal-mart could have cooked it a bit longer and finished the “sserie”. This was served with some nice hot beans and a lovely avocado and tomato salad and some vin rouge. While she was preparing the feast I was tending the lines to the boat and making a last “walk-around” the marina at about 7:00 PM. After dinner we settled in to watch a few episodes of “Boardwalk Empire” courtesy of the “Digital Gangsta”. Great series from HBO.
Now during the show we had to turn the volume up to about 35 so we could hear the program with the wind howling in the background. We also had the fan running in the front of the boat to dry out the raincoats, wet pants, wet shoes, wet towels and everything else that was damp. Currently the boat feels like your garage would feel if you live on the east coast and are experiencing the storm and then took your car out 3-5 times and each time returning it into the garage dripping wet then closing the door. You see we removed the Bimini and all the sides that keep the cockpit dry and insulated (too much windage in the storm) and as a consequence our main hatch/pass through is just a big funnel for wind and water; thankfully it is mostly broadside to the direction of the rain so that helps some but a soaking wet body wrapped in yellow plastic can soak the floor in 20 seconds.
Now as we were finishing the second installment of “Empire” it was approaching 11:00 PM and we knew we had to go to bed. I took the opportunity to go outside one more time as there was a lull in the wind and rain. Looking at the dock it became pretty clear that moving the boat backwards one pylon would take the shortest pylon away from the widest part of the boat and prove beneficial if the water kept rising. I called the Admiral topsides and asked her opinion. In bare feet, damp yoga pants rolled up, and her trusty green raincoat she agreed that moving the boat was a good idea. OK, so we are staring at a 25K pound boat and winds gusting to 40 and the two of us barefoot (cold damp shoes are just too miserable to put back on) on a slick deck–what could possibly go wrong? So we stared at that boat for 5 minutes watching it dance in the gusts and how it reacted to the pressures applied by mother nature. Then we further loosened the already loose lines (yes some get loose while others get very tight–its a balance) and started to move them to the pilings further towards the back of the boat. In short this worked surprisingly well and when we were done after about a half hour the fenders were in a better spot, we had a taller piling supporting the main part of the beam of the boat and mother nature even lent a hand by shifting the wind a degree or two more northerly that on occasion would actually take the boat off the pilings! Now after 35-45 minutes outside in this kind of wind and spitting rain in bare feet and shorts (or damp yoga pants) it takes a while to warm up and dry off but we eventually climbed into bed to await the rest of the nights events. Mother nature did not disappoint. Patricia finally succumbed to ear-plugs after she woke me to tell me that I was sleeping? WTF? What I’m supposed to stay awake? I get little sleep in these situations as it is. I went out 3 times between 11:00 and 6:00 AM. Each time having to adjust those damn fenders. The rub-rail was doing fine on the piling but having the fender properly positioned is the best first defense.
At 6:00 I was online checking the observations at Cherry Point airfield. 48 knots was the max gust since mid-night. It gives an appreciation of just what 75 knots (hurricane strength) what might feel like and why you don’t want to be in that! While online I received an e-mail from Jeff and Wendy south at MoreHead City and what fun they were having on Calypso on the anchor. Funny to see other live-aboards online at a ridiculous hour for the same reasons.
Well we finally got up at about 9:00 and had breakfast–we were reluctant to leave the warm confines of our bed after being up so much last night. Today will be a movie, wiping up drips, some NFL (we have “rabbit ears” for the HDTV age and they work very well) and watching the storm on NOAA–the real story.
Here are some photos of the boat up on the T-head. Note the level of the water just at the edge of the dock–normally you step down into your boat.
Here’s our friend’s boat, it’s fine by the way and Mike you adjusted the lines quite nicely for the rising water, it hasn’t contacted anything. Note the dock level in relation to the water. In bigger storms the dock is covered with water.
Our boat again, different perspective; this is it slid back one set of pylons from yesterday.
Here’s a close up of the piling that concerns me regarding the rising water. As the hull curves inward just below the rub-rail (the lower white fender) that is all the additional rising water we can stand–about 18″)
Here is a shot of the marina and the tiki-bar; another few inches and both will be submerged.
So we wait, tonight about 1:00 AM Sandy will be directly East of us, the winds will go W-NW and the water will be pushed away from us and the water level will drop and things will calm down. I look forward to that. Things will begin to dry and the temperature will go into the 40’s–sweet fancy Moses we are truly living the dream!! Just ask Patricia.